This page contains links to pdf copies of papers by Christopher Giaschi. If you have your browser configured to display pdf documents, the links will open in a new tab or window. Readers are cautioned that these papers are not updated to reflect current developments.
For papers and articles on Fisheries Law, go to the Fisheries section on this site.
- Canadian Maritime Law Cases: Jan 2017 – May 2018
This paper contains summaries of decsions renported between January 2017 and May 2018. It was presented at the CMLA Maritime Law Seminar held in Vanvouver on June 15 2018
- 2016 Canadian Maritime Law Cases
This paper contains summaries of decsions rendered in 2016. A version of this paper is published in Lloyd’s International Maritime and Commercial Law Yearbook 2017
- Application of Provinicial Laws to Maritime Matters – Revisited
This paper reconsiders the application of Provincial statutes to maritime matters in light of recent decisions by the Supreme Court of Canada. This paper was presented at the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal Education Seminar hosted by the Judicial Council in Ottawa on 7 April 2017
- Sister Ship Arrest in the Federal Court of Canada: A Wreck in Need of Salvage
This paper considers the cases involving sister ship arrest and exposes a problem with s. 43(8) and Rule 481(2)(e).
- Developments in Canadian Maritime Law 01/2015 – 05/2016
This is a paper presented at the Canadian Maritime Law Seminar held at Halifax 17 June 2016.
- Select Developments in the Law of Marine Insurance and Maritime Law 01/2014 – 11/2015
This is a paper presented at the 2015 Fall Conference of the Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters held at Toronto, Ontario on 5 December 2015.
- Developments – 01/2014 – 05/2015
This is the latest version of a paper prepared annually outlining case law developments.
- The Application of the Hague-Visby Rules (30 April 2013)
This paper was presented to the Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia on 30 April 2013.
- Case Management in the Federal Court (9 March 2012)
Presented at a Continuing Legal Education Seminar entitled Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal Practice 2012 held in Vancouver on 9 March 2012.
- Application of Provincial Laws to Maritime Matters – 2011 Revision
Presented at a seminar sponsored by the National Judicial Institute and the Canadian Maritime Law Association at Ottawa on 15 April 2011.
- Bill C-7: Amendments to the Marine Liability Act
- Miscellaneous Marine Insurance Issues – 2007
- Provincial Regulation of Marine Insurance – 2007
- Admiralty Practice and Procedure: An Overview – 2005
- Carriage of Goods by Sea: An Overview – 2004
- Carriage of Goods by Air: An Overview and Analysis of Burden of Proof – 2004
- Carriage of Goods by Air: An Overview and Summary – 2003
- Issues Relating to Pleasure Craft – 2002
- Priorities and Bankruptcy in Admiralty – 2002
- The Marine Liability Act, Parts 2, 3 and 4: Apportionment of Liability, Limitation of Liability and Carriage of Passengers – 2002
- Marine Insurance – Frequently Asked Questions – 2000
- Constitutional Implications of Ordon v Grail and Expanding Definition of Canadian Maritime Law -2000
- Update on Canadian Law of Priorities – 2000
- Additional Assureds and Co-Assureds -2000
- Summary of Canadian Law of Priorities -1999
- Warranties in Marine Insurance – 1997
- Who is the Carrier? Shipowner or Charterer – 1994
- Towing Conditions and Agreements to Insure – 1996
- Liabilities and Remedies of Boat Dealers, Brokers and Repairers – 1995